Welcome!

Welcome to my creative writing blog! My ability to write is a gift from God that I want to use to bring light to the lives of other people. The purpose of this blog is to allow not only family and friends but also the world to experience my writing and to experience the sublimity of the creative process. I'll be sharing essays, fiction, and poetry, works in progress and the best of what I have to share. Feel free to comment if you have feedback. I will be posting 1-2 times a week depending on what I've produced. I look forward to sharing with you!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Southern Sea Revisited

 When I was young, I saw a PBS special on Ernest Shackelton's Antarctic voyage. From then on, I was hooked on National Geographic articles about the Antarctic, penguins, and sailing. I wrote the following poem in high school to record the feeling of the experience:

 
The Southern Sea

Our ship is tossed
on watery peaks.
The waves pound harder.
and we spring leaks.
The sails are full
of Southern air.
To slacken our watch
we do not dare.
Only the strong here
can survive.
Only the wary
remain alive.
The mighty albatross
we see.
A sign of good fortune
is he.
Where ice and seals
and penguins rule,
the Southern sea
is hard and cruel.


There is nothing in the world like an adventure across hazardous and unknown wastelands.

Here is a preview for an upcoming reenactment of the Shackleton expedition. Please note that I do not endorse the Malt Whiskey sponsor.

https://vimeo.com/48923718

And on that note, there is nothing like penguins, either.

Swarms of haute couture midgets waltz on ice
shuffling with an awkward, gamboling gait.
Angry flippers are tools of their vice,
they are short and tall, tails small, and beaks straight.
They dine on fish, shrimp, and krill far out to sea,
on ice and land they fast and wait to eat.
Their offspring wear soft down till grown they be,
They trip and slide on land, in water fleet.
Small, sophisticated, they dwell on coast,
flocking in thousands, cackling with heads high.
Haughty kings and emperors and hosts
rule remote lands beneath Antarctic sky.
A penguin’s life endures much strife and cold,
but, ah! to see those creatures brave and bold!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment